logo.jpg (16945 bytes)

logo1.jpg (15400 bytes)
This web site is a part of the heritage project taken up
by Prabal Pramanik’s Academy of Arts


Bhamlada, Bhatwan, Punjab-145 022, India
Web site : www.academyartprabal.com
e-mail : prabalpramanik@yahoo.co.uk

photo1.jpg (39611 bytes)

HISTORY OF
CHAMBA
AN ARTIST'S VIEW
OF CHAMBA
FESTIVAL OF
CHAMBA
TEMPLES OF
CHAMBA
BOOKS, PORTFOLIOS
& CDS ON CHAMBA
PHOTO
GALLERY
TOURISM
INFORMATION
DEVELOPMENT
OF CHAMBA
LIFE IN
CHAMBA
TRIBAL PEOPLE OF
CHAMBA HILLS
TRADITIONAL
ARCHITECTURE
ART OF
CHAMBA
ARTISTS OF
CHAMBA
CONTACT


Development of Chamba

The period of western oriented development programme started in Chamba with the arrival of Major Blair Reid in January 1863 during the reign of Raja Shri Singh.

The British superientdent Major Blair Reid fully revised the administrative and revenue departments of Chamba and reorganized the State machinery to clear state government from many lingering problems. The construction of road communication was improved considerably and other important public welfare projects such as school and hospital were started. Dakbunglows were opened at Chamba and Khajjiar.

During the rule of Raja Gopal Singh of Chamba Col Blair Reid improved the educational facilities and constructed new roads.

During the reign of Raja Sham Singh, Col. Blair Reid retired in March 1877.

This British officer had introduced a completely new way of restructuring the state machinery in Chamba, setting it along the path of development.

The Rajas of Chamba, Raja Shri Singh, Raja Shyam Singh and Raja Bhuri Singh understood the need of westernized projects for progress.

Postal department, electricity generation projects, street lighting, postal communication system and proper and wider roads created better facilities for common people and helped the economy to prosper in Chamba.

The enlargement of the hospital and the establishment of a branch hospital at Tissa opened new chapter for public health in Chamba.

The construction of a new bridge over Ravi in 1895 greatly helped the road communication.

Raja Bhuri Singh after Raja Sham Singh, continued his work of public welfare.

Further widening of roads and the construction of new rest houses facilitated the administration and communication further.

Chamba club with a library was inaugurated in 1906. A museum housing rare art works and artifacts were opened. This was a monumental step for the preservation of heritage. J.Ph. Mr. Vogel the famous Indologist helped to organize this collection.

Forest management was brought under the state. Chamba not only prospered due to all these progressive projects, but the values started changing about administration and welfare.

Better roads and communication facilities ment better business and economic stability.

After the independence of India and the formation of Himachal Pradesh, Chamba has progressed rapidly to become one of the centers of tourism, culture and economic development in northern India.

With the coming of the mass media and information technology Chamba is entering a new age of progress. Fast technological improvement will help to preserve the past if such technological improvement is implimented with a heritage conscious attitude.

This web site wil help in this important work and will help in cultural co-ordination of Chamba in Future.
Prabal Pramanik

 

YOU ARE WELCOME TO
VISIT OUR OTHER WEB SITES

www.papercuttingartprabal.com
www.academyartprabal.com
www.artprabal.com
www.pathankotheritage.com
www.orientbookco.com

 

Web design by Arup Chandra
Multimedia Studio, Bhamlada, Bhatwan, Punjab 145 022, India
Pictures and text copyright reserved by Prabal Pramanik